General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: resource-fueled strategy [Follow-up]

Dear Ted:

I'm writing back because you forgot to answer the following question:

In "Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy," does "fueled" refer to fuel, that is, "Saudi Arabia's oil" or is it another word for "financied"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Take care,

Dear Paolo:

First, the correct spelling is "financed."  The hyphenated phrase, resource-fueled, is an adjective that describes the noun "strategy."  Your question about its reference to fuel is not really applicable.  The phrase refers to or modifies the noun "strategy."  I suppose you could call "fueled" a synonym for "financed."

The idea is that the Saudis must PAY FOR their strategy, and the money that is used to PAY FOR it is the revenue they raise by selling their oil [fuel].

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy