General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: resource-fueled strategy [Follow-up]

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm writing back because you forgot to answer the following question:

In "Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy," does "fueled" refer to fuel, that is, "Saudi Arabia's oil" or is it another word for "financied"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Take care,
Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

First, the correct spelling is "financed."  The hyphenated phrase, resource-fueled, is an adjective that describes the noun "strategy."  Your question about its reference to fuel is not really applicable.  The phrase refers to or modifies the noun "strategy."  I suppose you could call "fueled" a synonym for "financed."

The idea is that the Saudis must PAY FOR their strategy, and the money that is used to PAY FOR it is the revenue they raise by selling their oil [fuel].

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt