General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: resource-fueled strategy

Question
Dear Ted:

In "Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy," does "fueled" refer to fuel, that is, "Saudi Arabia's oil" or is it another word for "based" or "financied"? Would you please give me some alternatives to "resource-fueled strategy"? What about "oil-financied strategy"?

BTW, is it "Saudi Arabia's oil" or "the oil of Saudi Arabia"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

In "Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy," does "fueled" refer to fuel, that
is, "Saudi Arabia's oil" or is it another word for "based" or "financied"? Would
you please give me some alternatives to "resource-fueled strategy"? What about
"oil-financied strategy"?

*** You can use "oil-financed strategy."  If Saudi Arabia had gold mines instead of
oil wells, it would be "gold-financed strategy."  In addition to using "oil," you can
also use "petroleum."  The "p" in OPEC refers to the huge amounts of petroleum [oil], the countries involved in the cartel actually have.

*** Grammar "purists" would choose "the oil of Saudi Arabia," because, at one time, the rule was that inanimate objects cannot have possession of anything.  However, over time, this rule has been "forgotten."  "Saudi Arabia's oil" is now "acceptable."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt