General Writing and Grammar Help/Resource-fueled

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please look at the following excerpt taken from a New York Times articles titled "The Last of the Sheiks and explain what "resource-fueled"  means?

Unlike Mr. Mubarak or Colonel Qaddafi, Saudi Arabia's octogenarian king, Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud,
has had the oil-financed means to buy off protesters.
He has managed to calm the anger that has flared up in his backyard by ramping up subsidies, dramatically increasing
public-sector employment and announcing huge and unprecedented government spending programs. So far, this has been a fast
and effective way to keep the masses off the streets.
But this is not evidence of royal resilience, as some Western diplomats and academics have argued. On the contrary, Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy is a response to rising discontent across the region, and it is driven by a deep-seated fear that restive populations across the Arab world could
incite unrest closer to home.

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. How are you feeling today?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please look at the following excerpt taken from a New York Times
articles titled "The Last of the Sheiks and explain what "resource-fueled"  
means?

Unlike Mr. Mubarak or Colonel Qaddafi, Saudi Arabia's octogenarian king,
Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud,
He has managed to calm the anger that has flared up in his backyard by ramping
up subsidies, dramatically increasing
public-sector employment and announcing huge and unprecedented government
spending programs. So far, this has been a fast
But this is not evidence of royal resilience, as some Western diplomats and
academics have argued. On the contrary, Saudi Arabia's resource-fueled strategy
is a response to rising discontent across the region, and it is driven by a
deep-seated fear that restive populations across the Arab world could
incite unrest closer to home.

*** Paolo, there is a similar reference in the first sentence:  "oil-financed means to buy off protesters."  My interpretation of "resource-fueled strategy" is that Saudi Arabia resorts to "calming" the restless masses or general public, by appeasing them with "subsidies" [programs and MONEY].  Because Saudi Arabia has so MUCH revenue from the sales of its oil, the Saudi people have been "bought off" by their king.  Other Arab countries do NOT have that advantage of huge amounts of money-from-oil.  International and/or Mideast specialists see the upheavals in Libya, Egypt, Syria, and other countries as being "threats" to nations such as Saudi Arabia.  

King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud ought to be worried that his own people may rise up against him, even though he gives them money to "be quiet."

Ted

I'm working in the library now.  I had a really bad weekend.  The rains came for three days and the temperature dropped to the 40s overnight.  But . . . I am doing my best to "rally."  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt