General Writing and Grammar Help/The softer end

Question
Dear Ted:

The following sentence is taken from an article titled "Porn has changed  for the worse. Even men have noticed." It appears in the online edition of "The Independent," a British newspaper.

Lord Justice Leveson seemed to agree, observing in his report that The Sun and the Daily Star have a tendency to "sexualise and demean" women and describing the Daily Sport as "hardly distinguishable" from the softer end of top-shelf porn.

My question is this:

What does "the softer end" mean?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

The following sentence is taken from an article titled "Porn has changed  for
the worse. Even men have noticed." It appears in the online edition of "The
Independent," a British newspaper.

Lord Justice Leveson seemed to agree, observing in his report that The Sun and
the Daily Star have a tendency to "sexualise and demean" women and describing
the Daily Sport as "hardly distinguishable" from the softer end of top-shelf
porn.

My question is this:

What does "the softer end" mean?

*** I had to do some research, since I have never heard the expression before.  Of course, I know the expression "hard core pornography."  "Soft core" describes a book or film that gives intimate details of sexual encounters right up to the moment of the actual sex act.

Some people label "soft porn" with one X.  XXX is the hardest porn.  In hard porn, everything is shown -- up close and with great detail.  [Add some very nasty words and a lot of moaning and groaning -- and you have porn!]

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt