General Writing and Grammar Help/take to the streets protest

Question
Dear Ted:

The following sentence is taken from today's online edition of The Independent, a British daily.

Saudi Arabia's government has warned it will use force if campaigners take to the streets protest against the country's ban on women driving.

My question is this:

Don't you think there should be a "to" before "protest"?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

The following sentence is taken from today's online edition of The Independent,
a British daily.

Saudi Arabia's government has warned it will use force if campaigners take to
the streets protest against the country's ban on women driving.

My question is this:

*** There certainly should be.  The author could have used "to" or he could have used "in."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt