General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the expression "per thousand people"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I'm using the expression "per thousand people" correctly in the following sentences. In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct? Also, is the expression "per thousand people" an adjective or a verbal phrase?
1. Canada has a higher crime rate per thousand people than America.
2. Canada has a higher murder rate per thousand people than America.
3. China has a lower HIV rate per thousand people than America.

Answer
Dear Glen:

Dear Ted,

*** All three are correct.  

The phrase "per thousand people" tells HOW or TO WHAT DEGREE.  In doing so, it fulfills the responsibility of an adverbial prepositional phrase.  [Note:  Some people would not classify "per thousand people" at all.  They think these three words are "quantifiers" and do not actually have ANY grammatical relationship to the rest of the sentence.   In other words, you can omit "per thousand people" from each sentence, and you will be left with three perfectly fine sentences . . . . without the "norm" being stated.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt