General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the word

Question
QUESTION: Dear Ted,
Is the word "internship" a noun in the following sentences and am I using the word correctly? In other words, do the sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. I have an internship in IBM.
2. I have an internship at IBM.
3. I'm doing an internship in IBM.
4. I'm doing an internship at IBM.
My second question is can the word "intern" be a verb? In other words, do the following sentences make sense, are they grammatically correct and am I using the word "intern" as a verb in them?
1. I want to intern in your company.
2. I want to intern at your company.
3. I'm interning in IBM.
4. I'm interning at IBM.

ANSWER: Dear Glen:

1. I have an internship in IBM.
2. I have an internship at IBM.
3. I'm doing an internship in IBM.
4. I'm doing an internship at IBM.

*** Glen, sentences 2 and 4 are correct.  The other two are incorrect, because of the preposition "in."  When you are naming the location, you use the preposition AT.  However, if you are naming the subject of your internship, you would use IN.  

EXAMPLE:  I have an internship IN computer software AT IBM.

1. I want to intern in your company.
2. I want to intern at your company.
3. I'm interning in IBM.
4. I'm interning at IBM.

*** The same explanation that I gave for the first set of sentences also applies to this set.  Since you are naming WHERE the internship is located, only sentences 2 and 4 are correct.  You must use "at" and not "in" in this kind of construction.

I know that these little prepositions can be a headache.  I believe that aspirin was invented because of prepositions.  ):

Ted

QUESTION: Dear Ted,
I have a related question. In sentences number one and two below, is the word "internship" a noun?
1. I have an internship at IBM.
2. I'm doing an internship at IBM.
And in sentences number three and four, is the word "intern" and "interning" a verb?
3. I want to intern at your company.
4. I'm interning at IBM.

Answer
Dear Glen:

1. I have an internship at IBM.
2. I'm doing an internship at IBM.

*** YES, it is.  In both sentences, "internship" serves as the direct object of the verb.

3. I want to intern at your company.
4. I'm interning at IBM.
Options: Answer this question.

*** These two are more complicated.  Neither of them is a verb.  They are "verbals" or "verb forms."

"to intern" is an infinitive.  It serves as the direct object of the verb "want."  The entire infinitive phrase is "to intern at your company."

"am interning" is the present tense progressive form.  Grammarians argue about the function of such phrases.  Some people call it a verb phrase, with "at IBM" as the prepositional phrase telling where [it's an adverbial prepositional phrase].

However, other grammarians consider the complete verb to be "am."  "Interning" is a participle, which is used as an adjective modifying the subject "I."

I would choose the first explanation, with "am interning" serving as the present tense progressive form of the verb "intern."

I hope I haven't made this sentence even more confusing.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt