General Writing and Grammar Help/And vs. to

Question
Dear Ted:

The following sentence is taken from an article titled "Porn has changed  for the worse. Even men have noticed." It appears in the online edition of "The Independent," a British newspaper.

Daubney meets a 19-year-old man who accesses porn more than a dozen times a day; in a startling sequence, the young man suddenly pulls his car into a pub car park so he can nip into the men's toilets AND masturbate.

My question is this:

Why "AND masturbate" AND NOT "TO masturbate"? Would the sentence be equally correct if she had used "to"? If so, would the use of the "to" change the meaning of the sentence?  

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** The use of "to" would make the sentence grammatically correct.  "To masturbate" is the infinitive phrase used as an adverb, telling WHY.  Her sentence is wrong.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt