General Writing and Grammar Help/wooden prose

I wanted to know what wooden prose is? I read some reviews on that said Dan Brown's Davinci Code had wooden prose
and I wondered what it meant.

Hi Carmen!

Wooden prose is simply writing - generally, story writing as opposed to poetic writing - which is bereft of emotion.  It is "wooden", in that it feels stiff and without human feeling.  It could also be awkward; writing that doesn't seem to fit, but is just there for the sake of filling space or an unimaginative attempt at using a cliche.  So a sentence like "The black sky was filled with blackness" or "He screamed at her loudly" or repeated use of "he said", as opposed to whispered, or chuckled, or other similar words that have emotional connotations might be considered "wooden".

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.