General Writing and Grammar Help/wooden prose

Question
I wanted to know what wooden prose is? I read some reviews on
amazon.com that said Dan Brown's Davinci Code had wooden prose
and I wondered what it meant.

Answer
Hi Carmen!

Wooden prose is simply writing - generally, story writing as opposed to poetic writing - which is bereft of emotion.  It is "wooden", in that it feels stiff and without human feeling.  It could also be awkward; writing that doesn't seem to fit, but is just there for the sake of filling space or an unimaginative attempt at using a cliche.  So a sentence like "The black sky was filled with blackness" or "He screamed at her loudly" or repeated use of "he said", as opposed to whispered, or chuckled, or other similar words that have emotional connotations might be considered "wooden".

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian