General Writing and Grammar Help/Over

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "over" mean in the sentence below?

Al-Qaida branch suspected after co-ordinated blasts rock the Iraqi capital over half an hour

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Paolo:

Al-Qaida branch suspected after co-ordinated blasts rock the Iraqi capital over
half an hour

*** The sentence, besides missing a period at the end, doesn't seem to HAVE an ending.

1.  One interpretation is that this news is very current, and the blasts happened just thirty minutes ago.

2.  The second interpretation, the one I favor, is that "over" actually should be "more than."

*** My preference for #2 is weakened, though, because of the present tense "rock."  That word suggests to me that the blasts just occurred.

Are you sure you have the entire sentence?  If so, it is a very poor sentence -- NOT something that you would have written.  Your English is much too good.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt