General Writing and Grammar Help/classification of: "from now on"

Question
Dear Jonathan,

My question is about the expression - “from now on” that is in the following sentence -  “From now on, we will always be together”.

Can you please tell me if this expression -  “from now on” is classified as an idiomatic expression.  

If your answer is “yes”, I was also wondering if it is possible to parse idiomatic expressions such as - “from now on”.  Since this expression is made up of a “preposition (from), adverb (now), and preposition (on) -  I am at a loss how to parse this expression. I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

I would not classify this as an idiomatic expression, no. An idiomatic expression is on where the sum of the individual words takes on an entirely different meaning from the separate words. For example "He pulled the trigger on the deal". A deal doesn't have a trigger so he couldn't have possibly pulled anything, literally speaking. The phrase "From now on" doesn't inherit any any different meanings.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn