General Writing and Grammar Help/paraphrasing into plain meaning & structure

Dear Brian,
Are lion heads unique stylization characteristic in the below? It's hard for me to get at the real connotation in the whole sentence, particularly, because of the combination of 'some' and 'but.'    

Some, like lion heads, were popular throughout the entire region and beyond, but were given unique stylization characteristic of the Achaemenid period.

Hi Yangkun!

Sorry for the very late response!

No, lion heads themselves are not unique styliation characteristics.  Lion heads WERE GIVEN unique stylization characteristics.  That means the people gave lion heads special characterizations when making them, to make them unique/different from other lion heads.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.