General Writing and Grammar Help/Delay something - postpone something

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to delay something" and "to postpone something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how is your recovery going along? By the way, is this question correct and natural? If not, would you please reformulate it for me? Also, would you please give me some alternatives to the above question?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to delay something" and "to postpone
something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** DELAY and POSTPONE are synonyms.  Both mean "to put off something until another time."  They can be used interchangeably.

Would you please give me some examples?

The general opinion in the US is that the new health care law is filled with problems and should have been DELAYED for a year.

The school's administration carefully considered the weather report and decided to POSTPONE the graduation ceremonies for one week.

*** In our local weather reports, many schools report that they will have a "two-hour delay" in the day's schedule.  That's a unique reference.  We would never use postpone or postponement in such a situation.

Ted

My recovery is proceeding -- slowly.  I have a check-up with my orthopedic surgeon next Friday . . . .  if it isn't snowing!

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how is your recovery going along? By the way, is this question correct
and natural? If not, would you please reformulate it for me? Also, would you
please give me some alternatives to the above question?

*** Your sentence is correct.  Other ways:  Is your hip healing well?  Is your doctor pleased with your recovery process?  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt