General Writing and Grammar Help/He's a good resource "for me / tome"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I should say "resource for" or "resource to" in the following sentences. In other words, do both of the sentences make sense and are they both grammatically correct?
1. He's a good resource for me.
2 He's a good resource to me.

Answer
Dear Glen:

1. He's a good resource for me.
2 He's a good resource to me.

*** Both sentences are correct.  "To me" suggests a more personal touch.  It's like having a teacher near you. The teacher is always there TO be your resource.

"For me" does not connote the same closeness.  For instance, if you are having problems with math and your father is a math expert, you would turn to your father, on occasion, FOR help. In other words, your father is not always looking after you, but you can rely on his help when you GO TO him and ask.

Frankly, Glen, the difference is very minor.  Most people would not notice the difference.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt