General Writing and Grammar Help/hurt, damage

Hope you are fine.

What is the difference between "hurt" and "damage" in English?

Hi, Hame,

I am becoming your private tutor here, eh? Funny.

If you provide some examples, I can help you sort out "hurt" from "damage" as the way they are used is usually how you distinguish them. Generally, "hurt" can apply to both physical and emotional harm inflicted by a person (oneself or others) or objects/circumstances.

"Damage" can be used in that way (above), but is also used more often than "hurt" when one talks about long-term effects as well as harm inflicted on nonhumans (animals, property, abstract entities like the economy).  

It is not incorrect to interchange them, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Go online and Google each word and also look them up in dictionaries that give examples to see the ways they are used.

Also, put up some examples here so I can tell you how they fit in to current usage. Recognize, however, that these usages can be different in geographical areas, families, or cultures that use English.

I hope this helps. Please rate my response.

Take care,

Best to you.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.