General Writing and Grammar Help/hurt, damage

Question
Hi

Hope you are fine.

What is the difference between "hurt" and "damage" in English?

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Hame,

I am becoming your private tutor here, eh? Funny.

If you provide some examples, I can help you sort out "hurt" from "damage" as the way they are used is usually how you distinguish them. Generally, "hurt" can apply to both physical and emotional harm inflicted by a person (oneself or others) or objects/circumstances.

"Damage" can be used in that way (above), but is also used more often than "hurt" when one talks about long-term effects as well as harm inflicted on nonhumans (animals, property, abstract entities like the economy).  

It is not incorrect to interchange them, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Go online and Google each word and also look them up in dictionaries that give examples to see the ways they are used.

Also, put up some examples here so I can tell you how they fit in to current usage. Recognize, however, that these usages can be different in geographical areas, families, or cultures that use English.

I hope this helps. Please rate my response.

Take care,

Sally

Best to you.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.