General Writing and Grammar Help/marry someone "of / from" another race.

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if you say "marry someone of" or "marry someone from". In other words, do both of the following sentences make sense and are they both grammatically correct?
1. I want to marry someone of another race.
2. I want to marry someone from another race.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I'm not sure if you say "marry someone of" or "marry someone from". In other
words, do both of the following sentences make sense and are they both
grammatically correct?

*** They are both correct, and they are commonly used.  I usually try to give you a difference in meaning or usage, even if the difference is so minor that no one notices it.

In this case, I can't think of any situation in which these two phrases cannot be interchanged.

I used Google to search the two phrases.  Here is the result:

FROM:  1,470,000

OF:    1,350,000

You can see that they are fairly even in usage.  [Note:  I do not usually use Google, since there are so many other sources that are much more reliable.  Getting a usage count on a word or phrase CAN be done using Google.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt