General Writing and Grammar Help/The meaning.

Question
Dear Ted,

Thank you for your prompt reply each time!

I read of a sentence:

These oranges are so small. There are seven or eight to the pound.

Is the last sentence correct? What does it mean?

Thank you again!

Best Wishes,

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

I am back after my month-long absence for surgeries.  I always welcome your questions.

*****

**** It is correct, and it is an idiomatic expression that is not used worldwide.  What it means is that the oranges are very, very small.  It would take seven or eight of them to add up to one pound.

I bought TWO oranges at the supermarket yesterday, and they weighed more an 1 and 1/2 pounds. My oranges were large.  Eight oranges of the size I bought would weigh about 6 pounds.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt