General Writing and Grammar Help/Have the possibility to do or doing something

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following phrases is correct and natural: "to have the possibility TO DO something" or "to have the possibility OF DOING something?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

By the way, is it correct to call them "phrases"?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how is your recovery proceeding? Please let me know.

Answer
Which of the following phrases is correct and natural: "to have the possibility
TO DO something" or "to have the possibility OF DOING something?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** They are called "infinitive phrases."  Both phrases begin with the infinitive "to have."

In the first example, you use a second infinitive "TO DO."  In the second example, you add some variety by using the gerund "DOING."  [Incidentally, "doing" is the object of another preposition "of."]

Both are correct and they have the same meaning.

EXAMPLES:

I intend TO SHOP for Christmas gifts today.  [infinitive]

I plan to go SHOPPING for Christmas gifts today. [gerund]  

Paolo

*** I had a check-up with my orthopedic physician yesterday afternoon.  The x-rays show that my hip is steadily healing.  My wound [scar] has almost healed.  Unless there is some problem, I do not see him again for six months.  My next eye-puncturing surgery is on December 30.  

I am very fortunate to have these two doctors, both of whom are nationally recognized as being "exceptional."  Since Wheeling, West Virginia is a small town, having renown surgeons is a blessing and miracle.

Both of them are very concerned about "Obamacare."  Over six million people in the U. S. have already lost their insurance coverage, and that number is expected to increase by at least ten million more in January.  My personal doctor ["family doctor"] has already left his practice.  He could not afford to continue to see patients.  It is a very BAD situation in this country.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt