General Writing and Grammar Help/Another question

Question
Dear Ted,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

Again, I have a question about the usage of very and much.

I surf the internet, finding there are three usages:

1. I am very much interested in English.
2. I am very interested in English.
3. I am much interested in English.

I think 3 is more formal than 2. What’s your opinion?

Thanks! God bless you!

Best Regards

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

2. I am very interested in English.
3. I am much interested in English.

*** #3 is not used very often, although it is correct.  Sentences #1 and #2 are commonly used, and both versions are correct.

Walden, you used the word "formal."  I know what you mean by that, and I agree with you.

However, the REAL difference between 1 and 2 is not "formality."  It is "emphasis."  Using the adverb "very" to modify the other "much" increases the stress or the emphasis.  It is like you are UNDERSCORING the word "much" by placing "very" before it.  Therefore, #1 is a stronger statement than #2.

I did not include #3 in my comparison, but #3 is equal to #2 in intensity.  Because of the double adverb construction [VERY MUCH] in the first sentence, it is stronger than the other two.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt