General Writing and Grammar Help/Take responsabilty - take ON responsability

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following phrases is correct and natural: "to take responsability for something" or "to take ON responsability for something"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

By the way, is it correct to  call them "phrases"?

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how are you feeling today?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Which of the following phrases is correct and natural: "to take responsability
for something" or "to take ON responsability for something"?

**** First, the word is spelled "responsibility."

**** They are similar in meaning, BUT there is a difference.

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Actually they are DOUBLE phrases:  "to take responsibility for something" is an infinitive phrase followed by a prepositional phrase.  "To take ON" is an infinitive and its object [to take on + responsibility].  When you use "TO take ON," you have one infinitive PLUS one preposition -- "on."  This is an idiomatic phrase.

EXAMPLES:

John TOOK responsibility for the accident.  [This is in the past tense; the accident has already occurred.]

Mary agreed TO TAKE ON responsibility for planning the party.  [Here is the "difference" -- the party HAS NOT YET occurred, but Mary's offer HAS occurred.]

Paolo, you can also use this construction for actions that WILL HAPPEN at sometime in the future:  Mary WILL AGREE to take on responsibility for planning the party, IF someone else WILL ACCEPT the responsibility for mailing out the invitations.

My little "runaway" pup seemed to be happy with his returning home yesterday.  He slept in my bed last night . . . and a "warm puppy" made me feel much better.

We are having another dangerous ice, sleet, and snow storm.  The snow accumulation is for 5+ inches, but there is a layer of ice -- about one inch -- under the snow.  Winter hasn't officially started, but I am ready for spring!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt