General Writing and Grammar Help/Be out of sthg - have run out of sthg

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to HAVE RUN OUT OF something" and "to BE OUT OF something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I don't know if you received this answer or not, since you mentioned using an incorrect e-mail address.  If you DID receive it, please rate it, so that it will be removed from my inbox.

Grazie,

Ted

Question:
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to HAVE RUN OUT OF something" and "to BE OUT OF
something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The only difference is that "BE OUT" indicates that you were missing the "something" before you began your project, such as baking a cake when you have no sugar.

If you RUN OUT of sugar, that means you had some sugar when you started, but you did not have the full amount called for in the recipe.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt