General Writing and Grammar Help/Have someone do sthg - have someone doing sthg

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to have someone do something" and "to have someone doing something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how are you today?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to have someone do something" and "to have
someone doing something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

**** There is one difference.  If you use "doing something," that is the progressive form, which means the action is going on during the present time.  "Do something" does NOT suggest that the action is happening right now.

EXAMPLES:

Mother to John:  "John, you must clean up your room before you go to the ballgame."

Progressive form:  "John, are you cleaning up your room now?  You must do it before you leave for the ballgame."

P.S. Ted, how are you today?

My hip is getting stronger, although I still have some pain.  My eyes are also improving.  We had four inches of snow last night, and the snow fell on top of freezing rain.  I intend to stay inside all day.  Thank you for asking, Paolo.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt