General Writing and Grammar Help/A strange passage

Question
Dear Ted,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply each time!

I read of a passage, but I feel a little strange.

It is as follows:

New Year’s Eve, 2004, was a very important day for Taiwan, and not because it marked the end of one year and the beginning of another. It was the day on which Taiwan’s most famous building, Taipei 101, was
officially opened.

The correct writing, I think, is as follows:

New Year’s Eve, 2004, was a very important day for Taiwan, because it marked the end of one year and the beginning of another and because it was the day on which Taiwan’s most famous building, Taipei 101, was
officially opened.

Do you agree? If not, what is the correct writing? Or you have different
writing.  Thanks!

Answer
Dear Walden:

*** You are welcome, Walden.  I try my best to answer as soon as possible.

It is as follows:

officially opened.

officially opened.

writing.  Thanks!

*** I must disagree with you.  The writer mentions one specific day, New Year's Eve, and everyone know that the old year ends on December 31.  His point is that on December 31, 2004, there was a MORE important event that took place in Taiwan.  

Your revision, using AND, suggests that the two events were of equal importance.  If that is your view, then your revision is correct.

I believe, however, that the writer is saying that the opening of Taipei 101 was a more important event.  That is the reason he uses NOT.

Either sentence is correct.  I believe that the author's point is important and that is why I like his version.  Your version is ALSO CORRECT.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt