General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the word "quit"

Question
Dear Ted,
Can the word "quit" mean the following: give up, stop, no longer continue? In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct? Also, please note that sentences number one and number two are almost the same. This is because I'm not sure if I need to use the word "will" like I do in sentence number two, but not sentence number one.
1. When I have a goal, I never quit trying to reach it.
2. When I have a goal, I "will" never quit trying to reach it.   
3. I will never quit hating you.
4. I will never quit loving my country.

Answer
Dear Glen:

3. I will never quit hating you.
4. I will never quit loving my country.

*** All sentences are correct.  The difference between #1 and #2 is that #2 has the helping verb "will."  By adding that verb, you change the meaning to the future.  "Will never quit" is the future tense.

I don't see any real difference in the meaning of #1 and #2.  #1 may suggest your future actions, but #2 definitely states your future actions.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt