General Writing and Grammar Help/His dad's girlfriend Brandi.....

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please look at the following example and answer my question below?

Luigi's getting married today, and he's nervous as hell. His dad's girlfriend Brandi checks in to see how he's doing, and when she sees that he's a nervous wreck,

she tells him that she's going to help him calm down and regain his confidence.

My question is this:

Shouldn't "Brandi" be enclosed within/inside commas?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Shouldn't 'Brandi' be enclosed within/inside commas?" correctly written? Also, should I use "within" or "inside" in the previous question?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** If we know that Luigi's dad has just ONE girlfriend, her name should be enclosed in/with commas.  So, I agree with your suggestion.

*** If the commas are omitted, the suggestion is that Luigi's dad is a playboy and has more than one girlfriend.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

*** The sentence is correct.  You can use "in," "with," "inside," or "within."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt