General Writing and Grammar Help/In front of the desk

Question
Dear Ted:

You wrote the following:

If I am in my office, sitting at my desk, a student would sit in the chair that is in front of the desk.

My question is this:

When you say that the chair is in front of the desk, is the back of the chair facing you or the doorway?

By the way, is it the "back of the chair" or "the chair back"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

You wrote the following:

If I am in my office, sitting at my desk, a student would sit in the chair that
is in front of the desk.

My question is this:

When you say that the chair is in front of the desk, is the back of the chair
facing you or the doorway?

*** The back would be facing the doorway.  Thus, the student would be facing me.

*** "Back of the chair" is preferred over "the chair's back."  Many strict grammarians argue that inanimate objects, such as chairs, cannot show possession.

Common usage allows people to use "the chair's back" and other such phrases as "the table's legs."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt