General Writing and Grammar Help/I don't think so - I think not

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "I don't think so" and "I think not"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** "I don't think so" is very commonly used.  It is "casual."  "I think not" means the same thing, but it is a more "formal" expression.

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

EXAMPLES:

Teenager to mother:  Jack is having a party tonight, and he is serving alcohol and various kinds of drugs.  I'd like to go.

Mother to teenager:  I THINK NOT!

John says, "Have you been to this restaurant?"
Mary says, "I don't think so."

*** Paolo, if you want to show very strong STRESS in your answer, use "I think not."  That expression has 10 times the emphasis that "I don't think so" does.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt