General Writing and Grammar Help/THE giraffe

First of all, thank you for your wonderful answer to my last question.

I studied your answer. You say, "The definite article is used before singular and plural nouns when the noun is specific or particular," right?

Well, I found the following sentence in a grammar book:

"THE giraffe is the tallest of all animal."

Here is my question: What is the function of "THE" in front of "giraffe" in the above sentence? Does it mean that we are talking about a PARTICULAR giraffe?

I look forward to another great reply from you
All best

First, it would be: The giraffe is the tallest of all animals. (Plural; as all animals on the earth)...........

"The" is used to refer to a specific or particular member of a group. A giraffe is a particular animal. Of a group of animals, bears, wolves, lions, tigers, zebras, etc., the giraffe is a particular animal in a group of animals you could possibly list........ even dogs, cats, ferrets; any and all animals. But, you are speaking of a particular animal, the giraffe.

"The" is a definite article and used before singular and plural nouns when the noun is specific or particular. (a giraffe which is a specific animal of the animal group) and "the" signals that the noun is definite, that it refers to a particular member of a group.

For example:

"The dog that bit me ran away." Here, we're talking about a specific dog, the dog that bit me.

When you say:

"The giraffe is the tallest of all animals," you are stating that a particular animal, the giraffe, is the tallest of all animals which is a group: lions, tigers, zebras, wolves, bears, dogs, cats, ferrets, etc......... Out of all of the group of animals, the one specific animal- the giraffe, is the tallest of them all..........

You could say: " Giraffes are the tallest of all animals." There, no article is used.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.