General Writing and Grammar Help/Invite someone to or into one's apartment

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following phrases is grammatically correct: "to invite someone TO one's apartment" or "to invite someone INTO one's apartment"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, is it correct to call them "phrases"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Which of the following phrases is grammatically correct: "to invite someone TO
one's apartment" or "to invite someone INTO one's apartment"?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** They ARE phrases.  They are prepositional phrases.

Their meanings are somewhat different:  If Jack lives two miles from your apartment, you would invite TO your apartment.  If Jack is in your apartment building, knocking on your door, you would invite him INTO your apartment.  If he's already at your door, you cannot ask him to come TO your apartment, but you can invite him INTO your apartment.

Janet decided to go TO THE LIBRARY to study.

When Janet got to campus, she decided to go INTO the library.

I don't mind walking TO the entrance of the cemetery, but I am afraid to go INTO it.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt