General Writing and Grammar Help/Legal words

Question
Hello Ted,
I'm currently working on translating brazilian military law. Every now and then, I need help finding some U.S. legal vocabulary words that correspond to certain meanings. Here is one I need help:

1. What is the misdemeanor called when someone uses a fake uniform to infiltrate a firm or agency?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Nathan:

I'm currently working on translating brazilian military law. Every now and then,
I need help finding some U.S. legal vocabulary words that correspond to certain
meanings. Here is one I need help:

1. What is the misdemeanor called when someone uses a fake uniform to infiltrate
a firm or agency?

*** The general term is "impersonating."  It is a crime to "pretend" to be someone you are not, especially if a person presents himself as a professional -- doctors, lawyers, police, etc.

Matthew Scheidt sits at his trial in August 2012. Someone's watched "Catch Me If You Can" a few too many times.

Matthew Scheidt, 18, was sentenced yesterday to a year in jail for impersonating a physician assistant at a Florida hospital.

*** Nathan, there have been MANY incidents when someone puts on a uniform and acts as if his uniform makes him look like something he is NOT.

The most common usages are acting as a policeman.  Uniforms can be rented at costume stores.  The uniforms come with offical-looking badges.

I recall a case a couple of years ago.  A man pretended to be a physician in a hospital.  All he needed was his outfit:  surgical gown and a stethoscope.  No one at the hospital recognized him, but he LOOKED like he was a doctor.  He visited patients, prescribed medicine, and even performed some surgeries.  There were many lawsuits filed against the hospital which allowed his "impersonation of a doctor" to go unnoticed.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt