General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of "more likely than not"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of the expression "more likely than not", I think it means "probably". Is my understanding of the expression correct? In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. More likely than not it will rain tomorrow.
2. It's more likely than not it will rain tomorrow.
3. More likely than not he's telling the truth.
4. It's more likely than not he's telling the truth.

Answer
Dear Glen:

*** Think of percentages.  If Johnny has a 30% chance to win the contest, you CANNOT use the phrase "more likely than not."  If, however, Johnny has an 80% chance to win, you can expresses his chance as "more likely than not."  It's hard to put a definite number on someone's opportunity to win, but I would consider 75% and above to be "more like than not."

Your sentences are good, except for #2.  The problem with it is that you have one too many "ifs."
You can change the sentence this way:  It's more likely than not that there will be rain tomorrow.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt