General Writing and Grammar Help/A mess of a sentence

Question
I'm trying to help untangle this sentence. Have I made any improvements or am I just adding to the mess?

ORIGINAL:
Dr. Webster was an effective, gentle teacher, who was witty, with an irreverent sense of humor, and was considered, by his students, to be the doyen of the Williams College faculty.

MY STAB AT IT:
Dr. Webster was an effective, gentle teacher, and a witty one, with an irreverent sense of humor; he was considered by his students to be the doyen of the Williams College faculty.

Your turn.

Thanks,

Peggy

Answer
Hi Peggy,

Apologies for the long delay.

I would suggest:

According to his students, the doyen of Williams College faculty is Dr. Webster, who is known for being an effective, gentle, witty teacher with an irreverent sense of humor.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn