General Writing and Grammar Help/I often lose track of (the) time.

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if you should say "lose track of time" or "lose track of the time", or if both ways are grammatically correct. In other words, do I need to use the word "the" in the following sentences, or are the sentences grammatically correct both when I use the word "the", as well as when I don't?
1. I often lose track of the time.
2. I often lose track of the time when I play computer games.
3. I often lose track of the time when I'm playing computer games.

Answer
Dear Glen:

I'm not sure if you should say "lose track of time" or "lose track of the time",
or if both ways are grammatically correct. In other words, do I need to use the
word "the" in the following sentences, or are the sentences grammatically
correct both when I use the word "the", as well as when I don't?
1. I often lose track of the time.

***The phrase is used with and without the word "the."  It is an idiomatic expression that essentially means your mind is occupied with things other than "time."  I can't give you an estimate for the frequency of use for either way, but I would guess that it's about 50-50.

If you live in a geographical area in which most people include the word "the," then you most likely will also include it.  And, the converse is true.

It's your option.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt