General Writing and Grammar Help/possessive pronoun

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me if the word “mine” is a possessive pronoun in the following sentence:

“It is a toy of mine.”

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Can you please tell me if the word “mine” is a possessive pronoun in the
following sentence:

“It is a toy of mine.”

*** Yes.  "Mine" is a possessive pronoun.  So is "my."

This question is often raised by students:  We use his, hers, theirs, ours, yours.  Why don't we use "mines"?

The book is his.  The books is hers.  The book is ours.  The book is mines.

In the "old days," "mine" was often substituted for "my."  "MINE eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Your sentence is correct, but most people would say, "The toy is mine."  OR "It is my toy."

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt