General Writing and Grammar Help/present participles used as verbs

Question
QUESTION: Dear Ted,

Can you please parse the –ing words (concluding, speaking, walking, singing, and being) in the following sentences:

“Concluding I want to say that I had a great visit.”

“Speaking of dogs do you know of a good veterinarian?”

“While walking, I saw Charles.”

“She left the house singing.”

"Being friends, we spoke at length.

Are these words (concluding, speaking, walking, singing,  and being)  “present participles” being used as verbs?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich:

Can you please parse the –ing words (concluding, speaking, walking, singing, and
being) in the following sentences:

*** The first two sentences contain "transitional tag words."  They do not really "belong" to anything in the sentence.  Most people consider them to be adverbs. There are similar phrases, such as by the way, incidentally, apropos, with regard to.  When you see these "tags," which are almost always at the beginning of a sentence, you know that the author is trying to connect the words that FOLLOW with the idea presented in the PREVIOUS sentence.  "By the way" almost always suggests that the writer/speaker forgot to include something in the previous sentence.  So, the tag word or phrase introduces an "add on."  For example, when someone starts a sentence with "speaking of dogs," the previous sentence MUST be about dogs or there is no logic.

“While walking, I saw Charles.”  

“She left the house singing.”

"Being friends, we spoke at length.

*** The three examples above are present participles.  The two introductory phrases -- While walking and Being friends -- are easy to parse, because they describe the subjects of the two sentences.  They are used as adjectives.  ["I" am doing the walking.  "WE" are being friends.

The middle sentence also has a present participle, "singing."  It is used to modify the subject of the sentence "she."  [Since it appears in the predicate part of the sentence BUT modifies the subject, it is called a "predicate adjective."

Ted

Are these words (concluding, speaking, walking, singing,  and being)  “present
participles” being used as verbs?

QUESTION: Dear Ted,

Thank you again for your help.

Can you please tell me how a "Transitional Tag Word" would be included in a sentence diagram.

I think this would help me to understand better.

Thank you.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Traditional Tag
Traditional Tag  
Dear Rich:

Here is an explanation about transitional tags:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071001033836AAW6m0G

You can try your own sentence parsing at these sites"

http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/

http://www.wisc-online.com/Objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=WCN8207

I'll try to attach a word document with a sentence I constructed, beginning with the transitional tag "in conclusion."

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt