General Writing and Grammar Help/Subject Verb Agreement

I am having difficulty with subject verb agreement in the following sentence (specifically, if "echoes" is proper):

"The sound of footsteps echoes off solid pavement."

I am not sure if this should read as: "The sounds of footsteps echo off solid pavement", "The sound of footsteps echo off solid pavement", or "The sounds of footsteps echoes off solid pavement".

Please help! The more I read over my possibilities, the more confused I become!

Thank you.

The easy part first:

Incorrect:  The sounds of footsteps echoes off solid pavement.  

What I like to call the skeleton of the sentence is:
Sounds (subject) echoes (verb)

Your ear has alerted you that this can't be right (subject is plural and verb is singular!).

A lot of people have the problem you have identified with your sentence choices here.  

The thorn is =of footsteps=.  

On first glance, =footsteps= appears to be the subject of the sentence.  It falls just before the verb, too!

Unfortunately, =footsteps= is NOT the subject.  

It is part of a prepositional phrase.  =Of= is the preposition, and =footsteps= is the object of the preposition.  The object of a preposition does not control the verb, so the subject has to be some other word.

If we remove =of footsteps=, it's easier to see what the subject actually is:

The sound echoes off solid pavement.
Sound echoes.

Now it's obvious what the subject is and what form of the verb is needed.

So many people trip on this.   You're not alone!

Another example:

A group of us are going to the movies. [incorrect]

=Us= is the object of the preposition =of=.  =Us= is NOT the subject!  =Group= is the subject!  That's why the verb must be =is=:

A group of us is going to the movies.  [correct!]

In the future, if you are confused, remove the prepositional phrase to reveal the true subject.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis

I will answer questions having to do with grammar, plurals, punctuation, capitalization, mood, person, tense, and so on, as well as word usage and word choice. If you want a quick answer to a specific question, particularly if you wish to use formal American English for business or academic purposes (MLA), I can give you a timely response. I also can address word choice, clarity, structure, and similar concerns involving English as a second language. If you want advice of a deeper editorial nature (e.g., substantive [line] editing), please consult an Expert who offers this sort of assistance; I do not offer this sort of assistance.

I was employed as an editor for the graduate school at a major U.S. university and specialized in dissertations. I have over 200 publications in professional journals, consumer magazines, and newspapers. I am the author of five books and numerous syllabi in an arts field. I also am a freelance line editor, copy editor, and proofreader (over 40 years), and I have written or edited countless community organizations' newsletters and promotional materials.

Note: When using a word as a word in a sentence, such as: Put a period after the word dog, =dog= should be set in italics. Since I do not have access to italics here, I shall use = on either side of the word or phrase that properly should appear in italics. For the above example: Put a period after the word =dog=. Also, ~~please do not mark your questions as private~~. I will change them to public because I don't want to type the same answer twice! Thanks for your understanding.

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

Education B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa Ph.D.

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb