General Writing and Grammar Help/One of our values at West Liberty.....

Question
Dear Ted:

On your Facebook page you posted the following speech/message:

Having good grammar skills is not a requirement for some university presidents:
"One of our values at West Liberty is to encourage STUDENTS to go out and inquire and gather information and look at as many different sources as possible on any side, before YOU reach YOUR opinion," said Robin Capehart, president of West Liberty University.
"Any attempt to limit the breadth of a student's ability to investigate is obviously SOMETHING AT WHICH WE HAVE A CONCERN," said Capehart.

My question is this:

Would you please tell me what it is wrong with the above speech?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Would you please tell me what it is wrong with the above speech?" correctly written or should I have omitted/let out the "it" after "what," that is, "Would you please tell me what is wrong with....."? Also, is the sentence "On your Facebook page you posted the following speech/message" grammatically correct?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** There are two problems.  The first sentence that is in the quoted material refers to STUDENTS, the third person plural.  At the end of that sentence, the speaker reverts to the use of YOU and YOUR, which are second person pronouns.  In the last quoted sentence, the wording is quite awkward -- "something at which we have a concern."  We have concerns ABOUT things, not AT things.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

*** You should take out the word "it."  The relative pronoun "what" is the correct subject, not "it."  Your sentence about Facebook is correct.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt