General Writing and Grammar Help/AND - TO

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct and which one is acceptable in casual conversation?

1) Lisa decided to slip into a Bikini AND go outside to catch some rays by the pool.

2) Lisa decided to slip into a Bikini TO go outside to catch some rays by the pool.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct and which one is acceptable in casual conversation?" correctly written? If not, would you please rephrase it for me? Thanks again for the help.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Thank you very much for the help.

*** Both sentences are acceptable in casual conversation.  Here's the problem:

IF the meaning is that Lisa put on the bikini SO THAT she could go outside, only #2 is correct.  The infinitive phrase -- to go outside to catch some rays by the pool -- tells WHY she decided to slip into a bikini.  In short, her decision brought was made by her desire to go outside.  

However, IF her desire was to wear the bikini and THEN she decided to go outside, then #1 is
correct.  She did two things -- decided and went -- but they are not "cause and effect."  One doesn't necessarily lead to another.  She could have decided to wear the bikini and stay inside.  The conjunction "and" joins two distinct ideas or thoughts or actions.

Using the infinitive does join the two, in that one thing led to another.

I think that #2 is what you probably mean.

Paolo

*** Yes, it is.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt