General Writing and Grammar Help/THE,...

Question
QUESTION: Hello

Would you answer the following question?

Which option is correct?

a) What are the bad effects of stress on body?

b)  What are the bad effects of stress on THE body?

c)  What are the bad effects of stress on A body?

d)  What are the bad effects of stress on BODIES?

Please tell me which option is correct and why the other options are wrong.

Thank you

ANSWER: Only correct choice is:

"The body" is medically correct, such as the arm, the leg, the brain. Not "a."  In general terms, "the body" refers to the human body.

Also, it might better be stated:

What are some bad effects of stress on the body.

Reason is, there are way too many to count, so to site "some bad effects" are feasible.

QUESTION: Thank you.

You say b) is correct, but I personally think that b) is WRONG. Why should we use the article "the" in front of the word "body"? We are NOT talking about a SPECIFIC body, so the article "the" is not needed.

As far as I know, we use the article "THE" in front of a noun to make that noun SPECIFIC. In my example, I am talking about the word "body" IN GENERAL not SPECIFIC.

What do you think?
Thank you

Answer
You do not use the article "a" and you cannot just use "body" without an article, therefore, you use "the."

Without the article "the" for "the body" it would be a body of what? A body of water? A body of a bottle? "Body" is used for the middle of an object and other things.

So, in medical terminology, it is ALWAYS referred to as "the body" when referring to the human body.

I know English is not your first language, and English rules are confusing an have exceptions to the rules (such as "i" before "e" except after "c"......... so the rule of an article in front of a noun makes it specific is true... "the body" equal human body= specific.

It is broken and incorrect English to say "body" without an article.... and "a" is incorrect.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett