General Writing and Grammar Help/Call someone - call OVER someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between " to call someone" and "to call OVER someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** I have never heard "to call OVER someone."  You can call someone OVER, if you want that person to come to where you are.  EXAMPLE:  The coach called two of the players over to the bench and talked to them.

"To call someone" can refer to having that person move physically.  I called Janet to join our group.

The usual phrase "to call someone" refers to the usage of a telephone.  EXAMPLES:  Janet called me about attending her party.  My mother calls me every Sunday afternoon.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt