General Writing and Grammar Help/Figure of Speech Example.

Question
Dear Johnathan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

What could be the Figure of speech in the following sentence given below ?.

"My Close friend who is in the Business of Supplying Gym Equipment
had never been to Gymnasium himself for exercising"

Could the above sentence can have a figure of speech viz paradox, hyperbole, pun, climax, metaphor etc ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

The example that you provided is certainly not a climax or a metaphor. It's could be considered a hyperbole; a deliberate exaggeration to make emphasis. If the friend had actually gone to a gym, then it would definitely been hyperbole. However, it could also be a poor attempt at literal sarcasm.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn