General Writing and Grammar Help/Figure of Speech Example.

Dear Martha

What could be the Figure of speech in the following sentence given below ?.

"My Close friend who is in the Business of Supplying Gym Equipment
had never been to Gymnasium himself for exercising"

Could the above sentence can have a figure of speech viz paradox, hyperbole, pun, climax, metaphor etc ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

=Paradox= would be the best choice from your list.  =Irony= is the best description, but it is not on your list; =irony= is not a figure of speech, however!

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to correct some things in your sentence.

First, capitalization:

1.  Proper names (I, people, books/play titles, ships, cities, countries, etc.) are capitalized, no matter where in the sentence they occur.

I am going to Jakarta tomorrow.
Jakarta is my destination tomorrow.

2.  All first words in a sentence are capitalized.  It doesn't matter if they are proper names or not.

Let's eat ice cream.
I'd like to eat ice cream.
Ice cream is a delicious treat.
Where is the ice cream?
Does Rahul have ice cream?

My Close friend who is in the Business of Supplying Gym Equipment
had never been to Gymnasium himself for exercising

My close friend who is in the business of supplying gym equipment
had never been to gymnasium himself for exercising.

Next, punctuation:

You need a few extra punctuation marks.

My close friend, who is in the business of supplying gym equipment,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis

I will answer questions having to do with grammar, plurals, punctuation, capitalization, mood, person, tense, and so on, as well as word usage and word choice. If you want a quick answer to a specific question, particularly if you wish to use formal American English for business or academic purposes (MLA), I can give you a timely response. I also can address word choice, clarity, structure, and similar concerns involving English as a second language. If you want advice of a deeper editorial nature (e.g., substantive [line] editing), please consult an Expert who offers this sort of assistance; I do not offer this sort of assistance.

I was employed as an editor for the graduate school at a major U.S. university and specialized in dissertations. I have over 200 publications in professional journals, consumer magazines, and newspapers. I am the author of five books and numerous syllabi in an arts field. I also am a freelance line editor, copy editor, and proofreader (over 40 years), and I have written or edited countless community organizations' newsletters and promotional materials.

Note: When using a word as a word in a sentence, such as: Put a period after the word dog, =dog= should be set in italics. Since I do not have access to italics here, I shall use = on either side of the word or phrase that properly should appear in italics. For the above example: Put a period after the word =dog=. Also, ~~please do not mark your questions as private~~. I will change them to public because I don't want to type the same answer twice! Thanks for your understanding.

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

Education B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa Ph.D.

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb