General Writing and Grammar Help/Free Downloadable Dictionary and Thesaurus

Hello Ted,
Is there any free downloadable English dictionary and thesaurus that you can recommend?
Best regards,

Dear Usuff:

There are many good dictionaries available online.  Here are a few of my favorites:
    It is easy to use, and it has both a dictionary section AND a thesaurus.
    This dictionary is huge.  It has English definitions, a thesaurus, examples of words used in sentence, and it even has an audio pronunciation guide.  On the first page, you will see a link called "Other Dictionaries."  Using this link will take you to an alphabetical list of non-English dictionaries.  This is the most comprehensive online dictionary, to my knowledge.

*** Do not use the Longman Dictionary.  It is very limited in its scope, and some of its definitions are very old.

Ted Nesbitt  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy