General Writing and Grammar Help/Machine,Device,Gadget,Instrument,Tool,Equipment - Synonyms ?

Question
QUESTION: Dear Jannie

Can we consider Machine,Device,Gadget,Instrument,Tool,Equipment as Synonyms ?

Which would be most appropriate i.e. Radio Button or if multiple check boxes are given for the below examples, which would you select ?

For examples :

Question 1
----------------

1. Surgeon uses a Surgical instrument to perform surgery.
2. Surgeon uses a Surgical machine to perform surgery.
3. Surgeon uses a Surgical device to perform surgery.
4. Surgeon uses a Surgical tool to perform surgery.
5. Surgeon uses a Surgical gadget to perform surgery.
6. Surgeon uses a Surgical equipment to perform surgery.

Select the Best answer from above. i.e. Single answer. i.e. Radio Button.

Question 2
-----------

Select the Best answers from above. i.e. Multiple answers. i.e. Check boxes.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: First, you cannot begin the sentence (statement) with "surgeon" singular, then use plural verbs.

You can say "a surgeon" or "surgeons."

Answer 1)

1. Surgeons use surgical instruments to perform surgery.

It is "surgeons" plural, meaning the profession which has many, many people being surgeons: more than one.

Secondly, "use" is singular. The only time "use" is plural is when it applies to an "it" such as:

"It uses radar to detect movement."  Here, the noun is "it" (implying the noun was previously established such as a device or some piece of equipment, prior to this statement)... and "uses" radar is appropriate, but not with people such as "surgeons."

Surgical instruments is NOT capitalized. Only people's names, cities, countries, titles, etc. but NEVER "things."

You do not use any article. NO "a" because "surgical instruments" is plural and not specific. There are many, many, many "surgical instruments" that surgeons use to preform different types of surgeries.

Answer 2)

1. Surgeons use surgical instrument to perform surgery.

Same exact answer.

QUESTION: Dear Jannie

Thank you.

There is no doubt from my side about you selecting the Best answer of these 6 sentences.

But Regarding Question 2,

Question 2
-----------

2. Surgeons use surgical machine to perform surgery.
3. Surgeons use surgical device to perform surgery.
4. Surgeons use surgical tool to perform surgery.
5. Surgeons use surgical gadget to perform surgery.
6. Surgeons use surgical equipment to perform surgery.

Select the Best answers from above. i.e. Multiple answers. i.e. Check boxes. - if applicable.

As you mention the Best answer/s is Option 1, but there can be multiple answers which could be also correct isn't it ?

For example,

Are the Options 3, Options 4 also correct ?

For examples, take example of a Curved Scissor used by a Surgeon while
performing surgery.

Now Curved Scissor is a Instrument.
Now Curved Scissor can also be a Surgical Tool.
Now Curved Scissor can also be a Surgical Device.

But maybe,

Curved Scissor may not appropriate to be termed as a Surgical machine.
Curved Scissor may not appropriate to be termed as a Surgical gadget.
Curved Scissor may not appropriate to be termed as a Surgical equipment.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Your first question:

>>But Regarding Question 2,

Question 2
-----------

Select the Best answers from above. i.e. Multiple answers. i.e. Check boxes. - if applicable.<<

Answer:

Do not forget to pluralize "instrument; machine, device, gadget, (equipment is NOT pluralized because it is already either one or more in itself), because there is more than one that surgeons use. It is not limited to one: unless you name the instrument such as:

Example: "Surgeons use a scalpel which is a surgical instrument to preform surgery."  (In this statement, it is defined a particular instrument; scalpel, which does not need to be pluralize because it is defined).

As I mentioned in my previous answer, 1) is the correct choice and there is no other appropriate answer.

"Instruments (pluralized as there is more than one instrument that surgeons use to preform surgeries):

Medical information of "surgical instruments" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_instrument

Surgeons DO NOT use "gadgets" because a "gadget" is defined as any object that is interesting for its ingenuity or novelty rather than for its practical use, therefore, it is a rather generic term for a non-specific object and NOT EVER used in medical terminology- EVER!!! That is a layman's slang for something they cannot identify or do not know the object's proper name/terminology.... NEVER use that term with "medical."

To use "gadget properly, you could say:

"The man showed me a gadget that was supposed to measure decimals and record the sounds of dolphin communication."

(In that sentence and meaning, the "gadget" is used to measure and record dolphin communication (dolphin language to one another) and the person making the statement does not know what the "gadget" is called, so he uses the generic term "gadget."

Surgeons use "equipment" but, "equipment" is defined as:
1. The act of equipping or the state of being equipped.
2. Something with which a person, an organization, or a thing is equipped.
3. The rolling stock especially of a transportation system.
4. The qualities or traits that make up the mental and emotional resources of an individual.
Synonyms: equipment, apparatus, gear, materiel, outfit, paraphernalia
These nouns denote the materials needed for a purpose such as a task or a journey: hiking equipment; laboratory apparatus; skiing gear; naval materiel; an explorer's outfit; a beekeeper's paraphernalia.

To use "equipment" properly when relating to surgeons preforming surgery, you would have to say:

"Surgeons use various surgical equipment in the operation room (or surgery room)."

Here, the use of "equipment" is appropriate...

Surgeons DO NOT use "tools" because it is defined as:
1. A device, such as a saw, used to perform or facilitate manual or mechanical work.
2.
   a. A machine, such as a lathe, used to cut and shape machine parts or other objects.
   b. The cutting part of such a machine.
3. Something regarded as necessary to the carrying out of one's occupation or profession: Words are the tools of our trade.
4. Something used in the performance of an operation; an instrument: "Modern democracies have the fiscal and monetary tools . . . to end chronic slumps and galloping inflations" (Paul A. Samuelson).
5. Vulgar Slang
6. A person used to carry out the designs of another; a dupe.
7.
   a. A bookbinder's hand stamp.
   b. A design impressed on a book cover by such a stamp.
8. Computer Science; An application program, often one that creates, manipulates, modifies, or analyzes other programs.

In order to use "tool" with what surgeons use, you would have to specifically name the "tool" such as a scalpel, a bone saw, etc. which is specifically named and not used as a generic term....

Surgeons DO NOT use "devices" because it is defined as:
1. A contrivance or an invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively SIMPLE tasks.
2.
a. A technique or means.
b. A plan or scheme, especially a malign one.
3. A literary contrivance, such as parallelism or personification, used to achieve a particular effect.
4. A decorative design, figure, or pattern, as one used in embroidery. See Synonyms at figure.
5. A graphic symbol or motto, especially in heraldry.
6. Archaic The act, state, or power of devising.

As you can see, a surgeon would NOT use a "device." It is NOT appropriate in the medical field and NEVER used in medical terminology!

Surgeons DO NOT use "machines" because it is defined as:
1.
  a. A device consisting of fixed and moving parts that modifies mechanical energy and transmits it in a more useful
      form.
     b. A simple device, such as a lever, a pulley, or an inclined plane, that alters the magnitude or direction, or both,
        of an applied force; a simple machine.
2. A system or device for doing work, as an automobile or a jackhammer, together with its power source and auxiliary equipment.
3. A system or device, such as a computer, that performs or assists in the performance of a human task: The
   machine is down.
4. An intricate natural system or organism, such as the human body.
5. A person who acts in a rigid, mechanical, or unconscious manner.
6. An organized group of people whose members are or appear to be under the control of one or more leaders: a
   political machine.
7.
   a. A device used to produce a stage effect, especially a mechanical means of lowering an actor onto the stage.
   b. A literary device used to produce an effect, especially the introduction of a supernatural being to resolve a plot.
8. An answering machine: Leave a message on my machine if I'm not home.

(Unless the "machine" is a particular, specific "machine" named such as a respirator or surgical electronic pump, etc. which must be named and specific to the statement about what the surgeon uses). A "machine" is different than a surgeon's instrument or surgical device he might use. A machine is generally an electrical device that is a machine preforming a specific duty in surgery.........

_________________________________________

Question 2:

>>As you mention the Best answer/s is Option 1, but there can be multiple answers which could be also correct isn't it ?

For example,

performing surgery.

Now Curved Scissor is a Instrument.

But maybe,

Curved Scissor may not appropriate to be termed as a Surgical equipment.<<

Answer:

You are forgetting to pluralize: device(s), tool(s), curved scissor(s).  You pluralized "surgeons" therefore, in your statement, the device, tool and curved scissor must be pluralized.

The correct sentences are:

3. Surgeons use surgical devices to perform surgery.
4. Surgeons use surgical tools to perform surgery.

I must tell you that these sentences ARE EXTREMELY INCORRECT ENGLISH!!!

Now Curved Scissor is a Instrument. <--- Why are you beginning your statement with "now"???????????

"Now" what? Do you mean "now a days, surgeons use curved scissors'? Do you mean "Curved scissors are instruments now a day"??????????

Do you see how incomplete your statement/sentence is? You cannot begin a sentence with "now" as it will always end up an incomplete sentence!

And your  use of "is" not correct: "Now Curved Scissor is a Instrument."  

You must say: " A curved scissor is an instrument."  (you need the article "a" and ALWAYS use the article "an" before any noun beginning with a vowel: i, e, a, o, u.)...

Also, as I told you before, you DO NOT capitalize "instrument." You ONLY capitalize names of people, cities, states, countries, titles (such as books and movies) and proper professional titles when accompanied by the person's name, such as: President Obama, Principal John Smith, Congressman John Doe, President Smith of the Ace Corporation...

So please, remember that English is not just proper use of articles and definitions, it is also proper capitalization, punctuation, terminology, proper tenses: past, present and future....... etc....   

Both above are incorrect and incomplete sentences/statements!

Proper sentence structure is:

Curved scissors can also be surgical tools.
Curved Scissors can also be surgical devices.

That still is not a proper statement.

To be completely proper in English, it should be:

Curved scissors can be used as a surgical tool.
Curved scissors can be used as a surgical device.

I do not like the use of "also" unless the statement is used with other statements listing surgical instruments (tools and devices)....

The above are all incorrect besides the improper capitalization...

The proper sentences are:

A curved scissor may not be an appropriate term for a surgical machine.
A curved scissor may not be an appropriate term as a surgical gadget. (DO NOT use "gadget" in medical terminology!)
A curved scissor may not be an appropriate term for surgical equipment.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett