General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of the expression "to have bragging rights to something"

Question
Dear Ted,
What is the meaning of the expression "to have bragging rights to something", i.e. "I have bragging rights to having the biggest house on the street"? And can you please give me a few examples of how to use the expression.

Answer
Dear Glen:

What is the meaning of the expression "to have bragging rights to something",
i.e. "I have bragging rights to having the biggest house on the street"? And can
you please give me a few examples of how to use the expression.

****

BRAGGING RIGHTS

[plural] US : a good reason to talk with pride about something you have done
▪ She earned bragging rights for completing the project on time.

A synonym for "bragging" is "boasting."

The phrase "bragging rights" has a positive connotation, because it means that a person
has EARNED something prestigious, something about which he is proud.

EXAMPLES:

By winning the tournament, our basketball team earned the bragging rights as being the top high school team in the country.

Wheeling Park High School has an outstanding debating team.  It has won the state championship for 34 years straight.  That distinction has earned the team bragging rights for being the BEST.

Mary Jane has won many swimming meets.  She has the bragging rights of being the best swimmer in our area.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt