General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of the word "quit"

Question
Dear Ted,
I know that one definition of the word "quit" is the following: to stop doing something, especially something that is bad. Can "quit" also mean to "stop trying to achieve something"? In other words, does the following sentence make sense?
"I will never quit trying to reach my goal."

Answer
Dear Glen:

I know that one definition of the word "quit" is the following: to stop doing
something, especially something that is bad. Can "quit" also mean to "stop
trying to achieve something"? In other words, does the following sentence make
sense?

YES.  "Quit" seems to have a negative connotation, because it means "give up."  You are
correct in your quoted sentence:  You have used the negative word "never" to show a positive meaning.  If you NEVER QUIT TRYING, that means something positive.

There are other uses of quit that are also positive and do not refer to "something that is bad" --

I have quit smoking.

When Jane was a little girl, she constantly showed how insecure and nervous she way by playing with her hair.  Now that she has a more positive attitude toward herself, she has quit touching and twisting her hair.

Jack had to quit running marathon races, because he injured his left leg.  

In the three examples above, the word "quit" means "to stop."  When we stop doing things, our "inaction" can really be positive.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt