General Writing and Grammar Help/"see something with your own two eyes"

Question
Dear Ted,
I'm not sure if the proper expression is "see something with your own eyes" or "see something with your own two eyes", or if both ways are correct. In other words, do both of the following sentences make sense and are they both grammatically correct?
1. I saw with my own eyes how badly you treated him.
2. I saw with my own two eyes how badly you treated him.

Answer
Dear Glen:

*** Both versions are correct, and they are widely used to say "I know the truth about [something]."

There is a variation on this phrase:  Are you telling me that "I should not believe my lying eyes"?

EXAMPLE:  Jack saw Jim steal a book from the library.  Jack tells Jim that he should return the book.  Jim says that he never took the book.  Jack says to Jim, "But I SAW you take it."  Jim says that Jack did not see anything of the kind.  

Jack's response is "Are you telling me that I should not believe my lying eyes?"

Since eyes cannot lie or tell the truth, what Jack is saying to Jim is "I SAW YOU STEAL.  There is no doubt about it!"

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt