General Writing and Grammar Help/a question

Question
Dear ted,
Please help me with following statements again. If you have any idea to express these statements in another way or better, please let me know.

1- I would appreciate it if you set an interview for next week, any weekday at 3 p.m.. (also am I allowed to add an extra dot after p.m. at the end of a sentence)

2- My new apartment is located in an old building, and I live in apartment No. 4 in second floor.

3- I know that you are very busy with your graduate affairs, nevertheless, I will be happy if you come and visit my new apartment as soon as possible.

4- I am writing to let you know that I am not able to host you this weekend on Sunday

5- I hope you come around and visit my new apartment next week, and if the if the weather is good we can have a barbecue in the garden. (OR) I hope you will come around and visit my new apartment next week, and if the if the weather will be good we can have a barbecue in the garden.

Answer
Dear Ali:

I am sorry for taking so long to answer, but I have been in bed, suffering from a really bad cold in my head and chest.

**************

Please help me with following statements again. If you have any idea to express
these statements in another way or better, please let me know.

1- I would appreciate it if you set an interview for next week, any weekday at 3
p.m.. (also am I allowed to add an extra dot after p.m. at the end of a
sentence)

*** You don't need to mention both "next week" and then "weekday."  It is a little redundant.  Here's a different version:  I would appreciate it if you set an interview any day next week at 3:00 p.m.   Do NOT end the sentence with two periods.  One works for both the abbreviation AND as the concluding punctuation mark.

2- My new apartment is located in an old building, and I live in apartment No. 4
in second floor.

*** Good, with one problem:  It should be ON the second floor.

3- I know that you are very busy with your graduate affairs, nevertheless, I
will be happy if you come and visit my new apartment as soon as possible.

**** When an adverb, such as "nevertheless," "therefore," and "however" is used to join two independent clauses, it is called a "conjunctive adverb."  The rule is that the conjunctive adverb MUST be preceded by a semi-colon and followed by a comma.  I know that you are very busy with your graduate affairs; nevertheless, I will be happy if you come TO visit my new apartment as soon as possible.

4- I am writing to let you know that I am not able to host you this weekend on
Sunday

*** I am writing to let you know that I am not able to host you this coming Sunday.

5- I hope you come around and visit my new apartment next week, and [if the] if
the weather is good [insert a comma] we can have a barbecue in the garden. (OR) I hope you will
come around and visit my new apartment next week, and if the if the weather will
be good we can have a barbecue in the garden.

***
The second version is incorrect.  In your "if" clause, you cannot use the future tense.  You must use the present tense and the word "if."  The "if" suggests something that may or may not happen in the future.  Also, Ali, why have you twice used "if the if the"?  I think it must be a typographical error, but you have committed this error twice.

Ali, I have two questions for you.  Do you like classical music?  If you do, listen to this Puccini aria and see if the translation makes sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHXt5bSNjE

Do you use Skype to speak over the internet?  I talk with one of my Iranian friends about once each week.  I can answer more of his questions that way.  My Skype address is this:  ted_nesbitt

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt