General Writing and Grammar Help/two questions

Question
Hello there

Hope you are fine. I have two questions.

Question number one: Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Control of access to the Internet ....... a major project for the computer industry."

a) is          b) will be

Question number two: Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons.

a) Control of access to the Internet will be a major project for the computer industry.

b) THE Control of access to the Internet will be a major project for the computer industry.

Thank you a lot
Best, Hame

Answer
Dear Hame,

In the first question, both A and B would be correct, depending on your intended tense, i.e., present or future tense. It sounds a little awkward to say, "Control of access to the Internet is a major project for the computer industry," so I'd change the wording this way: "Controlling access to the Internet is/will be a major project...."

So, in question number 2, I wouldn't choose either one; I'd just say, "Controlling access to the Internet..." It's just easier to write and comprehend when using the fewest words possible. Tighten your sentences; get rid of unnecessary words. Get to the point; be direct, and use active voice.

I hope that makes sense! Sometimes the seemingly easiest questions are the hardest!

All the best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

General Writing and Grammar Help

WordChannel