General Writing and Grammar Help/Rhetorical - meaning

What does the word "rhetorical" mean in the phrase rhetorical purpose?

ANSWER: Interesting question!  That's a pretty uncommon way to use the word rhetorical, so I can see how it'd be hard to understand.  However, it very simply means the purpose of something written, like a memoir or a novel.

Hope that helps!

QUESTION: But wouldn't the word "purpose" be sufficient to explain purpose?

Good question again!

Yes and no.

Colloquially, yes, it would sufficient.  Normally when we think of the purpose of a book or written work, we think of why it was written.

However, technically speaking there is a distinction between a purpose and a rhetorical purpose.  For instance, let's say I am given an assignment to write a persuasive essay.  I don't want to do it, but I feel I have to because it's homework, so I write a persuasive essay on why the government should not monitor the internet.  What's the purpose of that assignment?  Well, so I don't fail the class.  What is the rhetorical purpose of it?  To persuade you that the government should not monitor the internet.  Make sense?

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.