General Writing and Grammar Help/Rhetorical - meaning

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

What does the word "rhetorical" mean in the phrase rhetorical purpose?

ANSWER: Interesting question!  That's a pretty uncommon way to use the word rhetorical, so I can see how it'd be hard to understand.  However, it very simply means the purpose of something written, like a memoir or a novel.

Hope that helps!

QUESTION: But wouldn't the word "purpose" be sufficient to explain purpose?

Answer
Good question again!

Yes and no.

Colloquially, yes, it would sufficient.  Normally when we think of the purpose of a book or written work, we think of why it was written.

However, technically speaking there is a distinction between a purpose and a rhetorical purpose.  For instance, let's say I am given an assignment to write a persuasive essay.  I don't want to do it, but I feel I have to because it's homework, so I write a persuasive essay on why the government should not monitor the internet.  What's the purpose of that assignment?  Well, so I don't fail the class.  What is the rhetorical purpose of it?  To persuade you that the government should not monitor the internet.  Make sense?

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian